Suppose you were to ask your 6- or 7-year-old children or students, “What is the Bible?” How do you think they would answer? Sally Michael believes there are at least 24 things children of this age should know about the Bible:
- The Bible is a message from God.
- The Bible is the most special Book.
- The Bible is written by God.
- The Bible is true.
- God watches over the Bible and works to fulfill His Word.
- The Bible is for everyone.
- The Bible is full of wonderful verses.
- God is the main character in the Bible.
- The Bible is powerful.
- The Bible is eternal.
- God will preserve the Bible.
- The Bible is the ultimate authority.
- The Bible shows us that our hope is in God.
- The Bible protects us from sin.
- The Bible is our guide.
- The Bible should be obeyed.
- The Bible is a priceless treasure.
What is the message of the Bible?
- There is only one true God.
- We were created to show God’s greatness and worth (God’s glory).
- All people have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- The wages of sin is death.
- We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus.
- The gift of God is eternal life.
- God gave us the Bible so that we might believe in Jesus.
Yes, these list is not comprehensive, but it’s a good place to start and provides some concrete, obtainable goals for children. And, to help you do just that, Sally has written a curriculum that carefully explains each of these points:
I Stand in Awe – A Study for Children on the Bible
Target Grade: 1st Grade
Grade Range: Kindergarten-2nd Grade
God, who is the most valuable Being in all the universe, reveals Himself with clarity and authority through His Word. This means that the Bible is precious and should be valued more than any other book. This study seeks to acquaint young children with the characteristics of the Bible and its message of redemption. The goal is for children to develop a deep affection for the Bible and learn to treasure its Author.