Consider for a moment what children can learn about the nature and character of God from the Old Testament:
- There is only one God.
- God is eternal and unchanging.
- God is the Creator of everything.
- God rules over everything and everyone.
- God chooses a special people for Himself.
- God makes special promises to His people.
- God is faithful and always keeps His promises.
- God is holy and righteous.
- God is jealous and deserves all honor, love, trust, obedience, and worship.
- God knows everything.
- God is all-powerful.
- God is everywhere all the time.
- God is wrathful toward sin.
- God is just.
- God is loving, compassionate, patient, and merciful.
- God is the Savior of His people.
These truths, taught to our children, lay the foundation for understanding the person and work of Jesus in the Gospel. Here is just one example of what I mean by this:
For in him [Jesus] all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,—Colossians 1:19 Continue Reading…