Here are nine good reasons for using a catechism with children:
- Catechisms present the Gospel message.
- The question-answer format of catechisms engages little children.
- Catechisms foster a God-centered curiosity in children.
- Catechisms serve as a basic outline of biblical truth.
- Catechisms preserve and purify accurate knowledge of biblical truths.
- Catechisms form a good foundation for deeper understanding later in life.
- Catechisms teach children to pray biblical-grounded prayers.
- Catechisms encourage independent Bible use in children.
- Catechisms encourage the beginning stages of biblical interpretation.
(From “Catechisms: Using a Sound Tradition to Build a Strong Faith ” by Kevin Feder)
Here are some recommended resources:
- The Baptist Catechism Set to Music by Scott Orrick
- My First Book of Questions and Answers by Carine MacKenzie
- Big Truths for Little Kids: Teaching Your Children to Live for God by Susan and Richie Hunt
- The Big Book of Questions and Answers About Jesus: A Family Devotional Guide to the Christian Faith by Sinclair Ferguson
- Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God by Bruce Ware
(Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net.)