I was 13 years old when the infamous Roe v. Wade decision was handed down by the US Supreme Court. Sadly, I don’t remember any response to the decision from the church that my family was attending at the time. For the current generation, abortion has simply been the “law of the land.” But the issue has never really been settled in the hearts and minds of many Americans, as evidenced by ongoing debate, legislation, and a growing prolife sentiment. Underneath all of these efforts, it is crucial that we teach the next generation a biblical view of human life—whether the life of the unborn, the disabled, or the old. Here are some basic biblical truths our children should know:
- God is at work within the womb, intimately and wonderfully forming His unique image bearer (Psalm 139:13-15, Genesis 1:27).
- All of our days, both before and after birth, belong to God (Psalm 139:16).
- We are to praise God for His wonderful gift of children (Psalm 139:14, Psalm 127:3).
- Abortion is the killing of human life. God hates abortion (Exodus 20:13, Proverbs 6:17).
- God desires that we expose the works of darkness and protect human life (Ephesians 5:11, Proverbs 24:11).
What might this last point look like in its application for children? Here are a few suggestions:
- As a family, participate in your state’s annual “Right to Life” march.
- Donate supplies and money to a local crisis pregnancy center.
- Help your child write letters to legislators concerning prolife legislation.
- Promote and affirm adoption.
- Get involved in your church’s disabilities ministry.
- Volunteer at a local nursing home.
- For older children: research topics such as euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, and eugenics.
The following websites can provide a wealth of additional information:
Also, here is a simple devotional and activity for your family from our curriculum The Righteous Shall Live by Faith: A Study for Children and Adult on the Ten Commandments.
(Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net.)