Parents and teachers often talk about “teachable moments.” A specific situation or circumstance arises that provides an opportunity to really drive home a particular truth and heart application in the lives of our children. Whether sharing a beloved toy, learning patience while waiting to be called on, or enduring being made fun of, hopefully we’re looking for multiple teachable moments every day to acquaint and apply biblical truths to our children.
The recent decision by the Supreme Court of the United States regarding so called same-sex “marriage” is also a teachable moment—a crucial and vitally important one. Here is part of Albert Mohler’s response to the Supreme Court’s ruling:
In one sense, everything has changed. And yet, nothing has changed. The cultural and legal landscape has changed, as we believe this will lead to very real harms to our neighbors. But our Christian responsibility has not changed. We are charged to uphold marriage as the union of a man and a woman and to speak the truth in love. We are also commanded to uphold the truth about marriage in our own lives, in our own marriages, in our own families, and in our own churches.
We are called to be the people of the truth, even when the truth is not popular and even when the truth is denied by the culture around us. Christians have found themselves in this position before, and we will again. God’s truth has not changed. The Holy Scriptures have not changed. The Gospel of Jesus Christ has not changed. The church’s mission has not changed. Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever.
- Do your children and students KNOW the biblical truth about marriage?
- Do they know why the truth about marriage matters?
- Would your older children and students be able to articulate and give a defense of the truth?
- By the time they reach adulthood, will they have been equipped and encouraged to live out the truth about marriage?
Here is a free lesson and student journal pages from our curriculum Your Word Is Truth to help older children and students understand what the Bible—the Truth—has to say about marriage. And here are the visuals and handouts for this lesson. The lesson develops the following main ideas:
- Marriage is God’s design to join together one man and one woman in a unique lifetime commitment.
- Marriage is God’s unique design to display the complementary roles of men and women most fully.
- Marriage is a picture of Jesus’ amazing loving and faithful relationship with His people, the church, in which His people joyfully submit to and follow Him.
- Marriage is God’s design for the wonderful gift and responsibility of having and training children to be followers of Jesus.
(Photo, USSupremeCourtWestFacade, by UpstateNYer – Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USSupremeCourtWestFacade.JPG#/media/File: